March 12, 2012

OURstory: Langston University

Langston University, Oklahoma’s only Historical Black College or University (HBCU), founded on March 12, 1897. Over one hundred years old Langston U. moves with confidence toward a second century of excellence. On November 16, 1907 (the year Oklahoma became a state), Langston City was officially established. Since African Americans were not permitted to attend any of the institutions of higher education in Oklahoma Territory, Black citizens appeared before the Oklahoma Industrial School and College Commission in July 1892 to petition that Langston have a college.


Did you attend an HBCU? Do you have any friends or family who attended Langston University?

2 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hello there,

I didn't attend an HBCU and I would never have attended one... yes...I know that there are folks out there who think I am "hatin'" on HBCUs but I am not.

I don't think that being in an all-black construct prepares black students to compete mentally and academically with whites. At my blog, I have written TWO posts about dominance strategy... plenty of black women who have never left the all-black construct had NEVER been exposed to dominance theory.

They were floored when I mentioned that I was introduced to it in all-white schools...as an elementary schooler!

I am sure there are advantages to being at an HBCU but there are also disadvantages...the world out there is not all black...the norms among blacks WILL NOT be the norms among non-blacks. Black students need to prepare for the norms of the professional world that differ from the norms in all-black settings.

Well....I'm climbing down from my soap box now....

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

Lisa - My brother (Morehouse) and sister (Howard) both attended HBCUs. The schools provided them with knowledge and a good start on their respective career choices. I respect HBCUs for their longevity and for the place that they hold in our community. The decision to attend is an individual one. I think it is safe to say that very successful Black people graduated from HBCUs.

I've seen your recent posts on dominance strategy as it relates to Black women and Black men. I hadn't thought of it in terms of HBCUs also.

In any case, my role is to try to share some of OURstoy (versus HIStory) whenever possible. I appreciate your comment. I hope other villagers will join the flow as well...