May 17, 2014

Happy Birthday: Chris Henry (Cincinnati Bengals)

Chris Henry would have been 31 years old today. From all accounts he was turning his life around. Unfortunately, he died in a freak accident during the 2009 NFL season.

The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Chris Henry played for the Bengals for five seasons. Henry played at West Virginia University and joined the Bengals as a third-round draft pick in 2005.

I'm a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals. As such, I had high hopes for Chris Henry. I'm sad that he is no longer with us. However, I suspect that his story is a cautionary tale for all young athletes ... Never take your talent for granted. Never feel that you are above the law. Mostly, I think that he reminds all of us never to do things that will embarrass ourselves or our family.

All that being said ... I'm sorry that he passed away. Our blog is honored to remember the positive aspects of him memory on his birthday. Rest in peace Chris!

2 comments:

clnmike said...

Freak accident? This dude was in the middle of a domestic dispute with his wife and who tried to escape. He jumps on the back of her truck while she is speeding away. That led to his death. I don't think a person who dies by their own sword can be said to have died by accident. Its still a tragedy that he died, but there is a lesson in this.

Unknown said...

Mike - I understand where you are coming from ... however, the police ruled that it was an accidental death. In any case, it was tragic. Many of us make mistakes when we are young ... it is tragic when the mistake results in death.