August 7, 2010

Campaign for Black Male Achievement

I was in Philadelphia last month for the 32nd annual BDPA Technology Conference. There were over 200 young people participating in the conference activities ... many of them young Black boys. I found myself wondering if each of the young Black boys that I saw would be able to successfully travel the obstacles that will be placed in their way over the coming years.

I wonder if each of us should be more direct in our efforts to inspire bolder and brighter visions of what is possible for Black men and boys in America.

Here is a video from the first annual Campaign for Black Male Achievement Transformational Leadership Retreat, which took place last year in Miami, FL. During the retreat, participants were asked to talk about their collective missions to improve the life outcomes of black men and boys. I found the to be uplifting and eye-opening in a number of ways:





"Transformational times require transformational leadership" was the theme for over 60 leaders from across the nation who participate in this retreat designed to raise the bar for participants' personal and organizational leadership in 2010.

I have a 10-year old son. I know that I need to do more to ensure that he and his friends can create bolder and brighter visions of what is possible for them in America.

Anyone else thinking about the future of our Black men and Black boys?

No comments: