March 3, 2011

First Lady and Secretary of Education Take Time to Read Dr. Seuss to Children

I remember reading quite a bit when I was a kid. I loved Dr. Seuss and all of his wonderful characters. During the summer I would be a frequent visitor to the Pio Pico Public Library in Los Angeles. After all, they would give you a certificate of accomplishment based on the number of books you read during summer vacation!

As an adult, I've rediscovered my love of the public library and regular reading. I recently gave me daughter a Kindle as a gift. So, it goes without saying that I feel very good that First Lady Michelle Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan found time yesterday to read the Dr. Seuss classic 'Green Eggs and Ham' to about 250 local elementary school students.

Duncan told the children gathered at the Library of Congress that his parents didn’t allow television in his house when he was growing up, which helped him develop a love for reading and learning. The event was held to mark Read Across America Day.

The children also listened to stories from celebrities including actress Jessica Alba and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver, who read from his own children book, 'Quickie Makes the Team.'

Next time I need to get the First Lady to read the children book, 'Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria' to the young 'uns!

No comments: